Friday, June 20, 2014

Birthdays!!

I'm so excited because tomorrow is my 49th birthday! I am so grateful for all the love and care that has gotten me this far, starting with being rescued by my Tortoise Mom in 1978 when I was 13 (hatched in 1965). My previous caregiver had chained me in their yard along with my brother Charlie, but when we get kept eating whatever grew in their yard anyway, they dropped us off at my Tortoise Mom's house because they had heard she loved tortoises. That was more than 36 years ago! My Tortoise Mom never met those people and didn't even know we were coming, but once she saw us she cut the chains off our shells because it's so painful for our living and growing shells. Then she let us enjoy all the grass and leaves we wanted in our new yard. Yay, freedom!

The other thing that I absolutely love is that I share my birthday with one of my favorite girls in the whole entire world. She was born on my 40th birthday, so she'll turn 9 tomorrow. Here is one of my favorite photos of her when she visited me three years ago. While everyone else was enjoying an Easter Egg Hunt, Dayna was more interested in seeing me and how I live in my burrow. She is so interested in animals and learns all about them, including her pet lizard Kermie. She's so smart I think she could be a vet like Dr. Johnson or any type of scientist if she wants. Anyway as I celebrate my birthday, it's fun to celebrate hers every year too, see 2011 post here. Happy Birthday, Dayna!!

I've been holed up in my favorite spot in my favorite burrow all week because it's so hot, but I know my Tortoise Mom and Dad have plans for a special Mazuri birthday salad for me and my Tortoise Dad's favorite cake for my non-reptile friends. I'll be extra hungry tomorrow and ready to celebrate!!

No comments: