Saturday, October 5, 2013

Urgent Care!

Over the past few days, my right eye has been swollen with the third eyelid mostly closed. But this morning it was worse plus there was goop in my eye, and I just wasn't feeling well at all. My Tortoise Mom has been putting anti-inflammatory eye drops in that eye for a few days, like usual when there's a problem, but it hasn't helped this time. I've also been sleeping near the fence during the day, which my Tortoise Mom thought was basking, but noted that it's new behavior when she talked to Dr. Johnson's office.

Anyway, this afternoon when my Tortoise Dad took me in for my assist tube feeding, I had such respiratory distress so they had to stop. Then the vet on duty, Dr. Corcoran, said I was very congested and might even have pneumonia. So they did a choanal flush, much like a netipot, with a steroid, antibiotic and saline solution to help me breathe better. The choana (ko-A-na) is a slit in the roof of my mouth that can get clogged. After they flushed it, they massaged under my jaw to help the medicine work better. They also gave me an antibiotic injection which I'll continue having every 48 hours.

Now I'm staying warm and calm overnight in my little box in the bathtub. My Tortoise Mom and Dad made sure there are no drafts coming in my box and I get to sleep in tomorrow to reduce stress from going inside to outdoors with a big temperature change. If I'm feeling worse tomorrow they'll take me back for X-rays of my lungs. I've never ever had a respiratory infection so this is all new to me. Frankly, it's a little scary for all of us.

I'm all tucked indoors for the night in my cozy box in the bathtub to stay warm and undisturbed. I sure hope rest and all this medicine help me feel better soon. Everyone does.

No comments: