Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hot Tub

I got to see Dr. Johnson today. He was glad to see I'm recovering from the respiratory infection, but he's very concerned about my scale loss and says it's a symptom of low protein. So I had another blood test and we'll find out soon if my anemia and protein levels are improving. If not, well, it will be very bad news. Very bad. Especially at hibernation time. Dr. Johnson said if the protein level is not improving after all the tube assist feeding for extra nutrition and vitamins, it would be a sign of intestinal malabsorption, or even worse, liver dysfunction. So we're all hoping the blood tests show improvement.

In the meantime, Dr. Johnson says to keep feeding me and keeping me warm indoors for as long as possible to let my body get stronger before hibernation. Unless I'm a lot healthier, well, let's just say hibernation would be way too hard on me to survive. Gulp. We don't want that. So we're hoping for good news from the lab test results this week. (Cross your fingers and toes, please!)

I've been waking up hungry and alert and really enjoy a nice Mazuri and shredded kale breakfast in my blue pan every morning. Then I get cleaned up and munch on a romaine leaf in the bathtub until I finally get tired and tuck in my little box again. The best part about staying in the bathtub is that's so warm that it boosts my metabolism and immune system. A reptile UV light hangs at one end of the tub keeping it at about 95 degrees, and my little box is at the other end so I can cool down to about 85 degrees. I adjust my body temperature just by moving from one end of the tub to the other. This is working well for now as it keeps me alert and hungry. Poor Tortellini is slowing waaaay down as it has cooled down so much at night and the days are shorter. She comes out to bask for a few minutes almost every day, but she's not very active or hungry anymore. Her metabolism is slowing down right on schedule for hibernation.  

But I'm staying in my hot tub, at least for a few more weeks. I know I'm lucky to get such good care, and get the guest bathroom all to myself (no magazine reading, ahem, with a tortoise for company!).

I'm glad I finally finished all the antibiotic injections - 7 of them over 14 days and hope I don't get another respiratory infection as this was my first in my whole life, and it was really hard to breathe plus I was so sick. I just want to feel better so I can go outside and live the tortoise lifestyle again. I'm sure grateful to Dr. Johnson and all my friends at Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital for not only helping me, but being genuinely kind and affectionate to me too. Thanks too to my Tortoise Mom and Dad and all my friends who are pulling for me. I hope to give you good news about the lab tests. Meanwhile, I'll just keep enjoying my hot tub.


No comments: