Friday, October 4, 2013

BReaking BAthtub

Summer's over, the nights have finally cooled down and we found out I have anemia. Again. Another October surprise. So I'm back sleeping indoors in the guest bathtub to delay hibernation while I get special assist tube feeding twice a week from Dr. Johnson's incredible nurses. I don't like sticking my neck out while they insert a plunger full of special food and vitamins (45 ml and 3 ml), but as always, I am ladylike and cooperative. I know they are really saving my life as I can't survive hibernation with such abnormal bloodwork.
Last year I had anemia too, only it wasn't as bad and my protein level wasn't so low that the scales were falling off my legs. So that's when they started me on the Mazuri diet. And it was a little later when they started putting me in the bathtub to stay warmer overnight to delay hibernation. I started a post, "Motel 6," but I was just too sleepy to finish it. This year I'm awake and actually basking during the day and even grazing on cordia flowers again. Must be the special feedings twice a week, and the 80 degree box in the bathtub. I sleep just fine in there, then every morning I sit in my blue pan to get a drink and eat some Mazuri diet. When I'm tired of that, I'm strong enough to climb out and go wherever I want in the yard. Lately I've been hanging out near the fence. I'm not going into the burrows because it's too cool and I get too sleepy. Did you know we can't digest food unless it's 80 degrees? So I'm doing my part to stay warm and keep my metabolism going during the day too.
We were surprised that my blood work showed anemia as I've been perking up ever since the monsoons came in July. And I'm developing some muscles in my jaws from the steroid injections. And I've just been more alert and perky. So, like I said, it was a big surprise, but thank goodness Dr. Johnson planned to see me early for my pre-hibernation check-up just in case I needed 4-6 weeks of treatment to get me strong enough to endure hibernation. It's a dangerous thing for a less than healthy tortoise, so always get those pre-hibernation check-ups.
Well, I'm sleepy again. This plain little box in the bathtub is pretty cozy and I'm grateful to be staying warm overnight. In fact, I'm grateful for all the good care I'm getting from Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital, and from my Tortoise Mom and Dad. I sure am a well-traveled tortoise, with trips to the vet's office twice a week and sometimes there's no time to take me home so I sit in waiting rooms as my Tortoise Mom has her medical appointments. Dr. Lu actually took a break from giving acupuncture treatments to come see me. She greeted me and said, "Nice to meet you." Of course, I was ladylike and polite. I only pee in my box if they hit my overflow button during assist tube feeding. Hey, that's not my fault. You try getting all your food in one plunger and see what happens! But it's already helping and I'm feeling a lot better.

No comments: