Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Weighty Matters



The scale doesn't lie: I've been eating! I've gained 156 grams in two weeks! My weight is up 90 grams since my last weigh in and that was before my weekly soak! Plus yesterday I took my first drink of water on my own since my surgery. It was out of the tree well, quite fancy as tortoise drinks go. You know we only like fresh, running water. Rainwater is like Perrier to us tortoises. Clean, refreshing and worth flushing the bladder to stock up on a new supply of water.

Tortellini weighs 3900 grams after hibernating all winter. I have a lot of catching up to do but now weigh 3190 grams after two weeks outside, with lots of "salad bars" and prodding by my tortoise mom and dad. But just two days of sharing the new burrow with Tortellini is reminding me to get busy being a self-feeding tortoise again.

I even came out of the burrow by myself this afternoon. I didn't stay long, but I did sniff everything and see what Tortellini was up to. Of course she was busy eating every flower in sight, plus my salad. Maybe she's finding that being my burrow mate is a pretty good deal afterall?

No comments: