Friday, September 6, 2013

Assisted Living

This is what happens at least weekly. I get my weight checked and a steroid injection if it's due (down to monthly injections now). I also get eye drops once a week or so to control inflammation so I can see better.

Then twice a week I get a mixture of Mazuri Tortoise Diet (extra protein to help build muscles) plus shredded grass, flowers and organic kale. Mmmm, Tortoise Salad, courtesy of my own personal backyard chef!

My compliments to the chef!

Tomorrow I'll get an early pre-hibernation check-up with Dr. Johnson to make sure I don't need any further treatments to prepare for a long winter snug in my burrow. Road trip! Actually I'm pretty happy riding in the car in my box. I snuggle down in the newspapers until it's time for another weigh-in. Everyone sure is concerned about my weight, but it's a good sign of how much I'm eating and drinking. My weight is down since early summer even though I'm eating every day now, but it's because I flush my bladder every time there's a drop of rain from monsoon storms that suddenly blow in. I feel disappointed when I flush but don't get to refill my bladder when it's so hot that the rain dries before it hits the ground. Hence the weight loss, but losing urate weight is a good thing -- no more bladder stones! Whenever there is enough rain, I drink like there's no tomorrow and actually smack my beak. Mmmm, rainwater is so refreshing!

No comments: