Thursday, January 5, 2012

No more winter soaking!!!

Great News!! Dr. Johnson said I don't have to soak every two weeks while I'm hibernating. Yippee, Skippy!! I'm so happy I could just, uh, well, you know I'm hibernating, so I guess snoring is the appropriate happy response.

Now I get to stay cozy and dry in my burrow until I decide to come out to look around and get a drink myself, maybe next month. The days are already getting longer and my body will start adjusting accordingly due to the amazing, complicated internal regulatory systems of tortoises that bromate (similar to hibernation but for tortoises). We know exactly how long each day is and our bodies change hormones, calcium levels, and other blood chemicals to accommodate each season.



Right now I'm blogging via Cacti WiFi so I didn't come out for a new photo. But here's a reminder of my winter digs, so you'll know just how comfortable I am right now. I am so grateful to not be disturbed until I'm ready to start waking up in another month or three. I am pretty lazy in the Spring, but I will come out and bask on warm, sunny days to rev up my nervous system for more activity later on.

Thanks for letting me sleep, Dr. Johnson. My dreams will be all sweet now... Zzzz....

No comments: