Saturday, January 16, 2010

Vroom, vroom

I've been slowing down. I'm still not eating on my own, but I do sniff the globemallow and think about it at least. I haven't been pooping very much either so I'm getting twice daily "walks" in the bathroom and laundry area to try to rev up my metabolism. All natural light is blocked there to help trick my body into not hibernating this winter. It's hard to break a 44 year habit, so we're pulling out all the stops to keep me properly stimulated.

I do like to explore for a while and then I sit at the barricade and hope I can slip through unnoticed. So far it has only happened once. I made it all the way into my tortoise dad's office but I got caught before I could tuck in and hide somewhere in the dark cool room. D'oh! But I'm determined to keep on trying. Don't ever underestimate the memory and determination of a tortoise. Now I know where I'm going so I'll be even faster if I can move the barricade again. I've got four legs and lots of traction so I can move more than you'd think.

Sometimes during my exercise period, I get to soak in warm water to keep me hydrated. I don't like to soak for very long but it's pretty relaxing to hang out in my very own personal spa. And then I bask under the lights to stay very warm which boosts my immune system too. Sometimes I sleep right under the infrared light at night, with my legs stretched out behind me.



It's hard to teach a tortoise new tricks but we're pulling out all the stops to rev me up to bypass hibernation so I can keep recovering from the surgery and so much muscle and weight loss. I am heavier each time they weigh me even though I'm not eating on my own. Maybe it's because I'm not peeing and pooping like usual? Ahem, only ladylike comments please.

Ok, my tortoise mom says to stop blogging and get back to walking. She thinks walking is the answer to everything. Here I go: vroom, vroom!

No comments: